Birth Story


My husband and I were just discussing how crazy it is that our little guy is just a month shy of turning a year old. How is that even possible?! People warned us that time would fly once he got here, but I never realized how quickly! It definitely teaches you to take advantage of all the little moments with your babies!

So with the discussion of how quickly Jonathan will be turning a year old, came the thoughts and reminiscing of how he decided to make his appearance. Really, nothing was super crazy about my labor and delivery, but it is always fun to hear birth stories… right?! So this is how our sweet little boy decided to come into the world:

On March 7th, my 27th birthday, I started having contractions. These weren’t the Braxton Hicks contractions, but full on contractions. I had gone for a walk, which I had been doing my whole pregnancy, and when I got home, the contractions started. Jonathan wasn’t due until March 21st, so I was a little surprised! They never got super painful, but were pretty constant. As soon as I would sit down and relax though, the contractions would slow down. I had contractions throughout the evening, but they never got to the point that we had to go to the hospital.

View More:
Photo by NP Studios– Kaitlin Niemeyer

For the next twelve days, I had constant contractions. Anytime I was up on my feet, they would happen. They were never constant, between 10-15 minutes apart, unless I would go for a walk or bounce on my exercise ball. When I sat on my exercise ball and bounced up and down, I could get my contractions down to one minute apart. They never hurt to the point that I thought I was in actual labor though!

I continued going to school and teaching throughout this. My doctor said as long as I was up for it, working was just fine because baby could come the next day, or he could still show up late. You just never know with babies!

Finally, the night of March 19th, I woke up to go to the bathroom around 3 a.m., as I did every night at this point. I had rolled my way back into bed, and within about 30 seconds I all of a sudden felt a rush of warm liquid. I vividly remember telling my husband, “I either just wet my pants, or my water just broke!” He flipped on the light, pulled back the covers, and said “I’m pretty sure that was your water!” It was go time!

We did regular bump pictures. This is my last one before Jonathan came. I was 38 weeks along!

One thing I wish I hadn’t done during my pregnancy was read about all the things that could go wrong. When I realized the water that had broken was a dark brown color, I knew something was wrong with baby. This, of course, had me stressed out. I knew, from the articles I had read, the cord was probably wrapped around baby’s neck.

Colby and I had already planned out everything that needed to happen before going to the hospital, so we were pretty smooth about our next actions. Colby grabbed the few things I had needed him to get for our hospital bags, while I changed clothes and took Theodore outside, and then we were off!

Once we got to the hospital, they admitted us into Labor and Delivery. I had just started getting some pretty intense contractions right before the anesthetist came in, so I’m pretty lucky in that I never had to feel the really bad contractions for very long. I had only been admitted around 30 minutes before I got my epidural, which went smoothly until right after I laid back down. I all of a sudden got really hot and light headed. I don’t remember everything that happened, but Colby says everything went a little crazy at this point. Nurses started running in the room. I was laid back and given a breathing mask.  After a few minutes though, baby and I were just fine. Praise God!

Throughout the morning, Colby, both our moms, and I just kind of hung out! I thankfully wasn’t in a lot of pain, but I was not progressing very quickly. I was given Pitocin to try moving things along around 9 a.m. Around 11 a.m. the anesthetist came to check on me and told me to start getting mentally prepared to have a C-section since I was still only minimally dilated. (This was NOT part of the delivery plans!) I started to freak out a little bit until my doctor came to check on us during his lunch. He told me he wasn’t too worried, and that as long as I wasn’t too tired, we would continue letting the medicine work.

Finally, around 1 p.m. I was dilated to a 6. Around 2:30, I had finally progressed to a 9. The nurses quickly started getting everything ready for delivery. Our moms were moved to the waiting room, and it was finally go time! I did a few “practice” pushes before our doctor arrived shortly before 3 p.m. Right after the doctor got there, I had to push, maybe, 5 times and out our little boy came! Our plan was for me to get Jonathan right after he came out, but plans were thrown out the window when the doctor saw that the cord was, in fact, wrapped around his neck. The doctor quickly cut the cord and handed Jonathan to the nurse. Colby and I were easily able to see Jonathan from my bed, but those ten minutes were the longest ten minutes of my life. I so badly wanted to just hold my sweet boy!

As soon as he was cleaned off and had everything checked, they finally passed our sweet little boy over to me. Being able to finally hold him in my arms was one of the most surreal feelings.  I couldn’t believe he was finally here!  It was in that moment that my and Colby’s lives completely and totally changed.  We were then not just husband and wife, but also daddy and mommy!

7 pounds 2 oz and 21.5 inches of absolute perfection!

So until next time,

Okie Mom



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s